After the last couple of years when many such events were cancelled, Christmas markets ate set to be hugely popular this year! I’ve rounded up everything you need to know about the most fabulously festive Christmas markets in Derbyshire.
Chatsworth Christmas Market
- Chatsworth House, near Bakewell
- 6 – 24 November, 10am – 5.30pm (6pm weekends)
- Free but book car parking online, from £5 off peak up to £20 or travel by bus
- Well behaved dogs welcome on leads
Chatsworth hosts one of the biggest and most popular Christmas markets in Derbyshire and the Peak District. It’s been cancelled for the last couple of years so is expected to be even more popular as it returns this year.
Expect 100 market stalls offering a delightful range of Christmas gifts and decorations. Outdoor bars serving mulled wine or a traditional German beer and a tempting array of street food. Expect gourmet burgers and sausages, hot pork rolls, pancakes, churros and much, much more. Live music to guarantee the festive spirit.
Haddon Hall Mercatum Winter Artisan Market
- 18 Nov, 19 Nov, 20 Nov, 21 Nov, 25 Nov, 26 Nov, 27 Nov, 28 Nov, 10am – 5pm
- Haddon Hall, near Bakewell
- Adults £6, Under 15s free, Parking £3.50
- No dogs
- Tickets available online (available from mid-October) or can be bought on arrival on the day.
The stunning backdrop of Haddon Hall always makes for a lovely market. I’m a big fan of their Mercatum artisan markets throughout the year but the winter market is the most special. The hall is beautifully dressed for Christmas, with some of the stalls located inside the historic building.
The Christmas Market curated by Fabulous Places
- Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th November, 9.30am – 3pm
- Alrewas Hayes, Burton on Trent
- Ticketed event. VIP tickets are available now, general tickets on sale soon
Fabulous Places have established themselves as the leading events company, and have been running Christmas markets for over a decade. Their seasonal events are always special. Expect a fabulously festive atmosphere.
Matlock Christmas Market
- Friday 3rd December – Sunday 5th December, 9am – 6pm (7pm on Saturday)
- Hall Leys Park, Matlock
- Well-behaved dogs welcome on leads
Established in 1994, Matlock’s Victorian Christmas Market is one of the largest festive events. There will be more than 200 stalls and traders offering hand-crafted, artisan goods, local produce and seasonal refreshments. This year, as well as outside stalls, there will be three carpeted marquees, including a specialist food marquee and an outdoor food court. There’s live music including a brass band.
The family-friendly event includes festive entertainment including fairground rides and other child-friendly attractions. On Saturday and Sunday, there’s a Santa’s Grotto, provided by Matlock Derwent Valley Lions Club, with the proceeds going to local charities. The weekend culminates in a spectacular fireworks display
- Sunday 21st November, 10am – 4pm
- County Cricket Ground, Derby
- £2 entry, under 12s free
A beautiful selection of over forty stalls of local businesses and makers. Plenty of mulled wine and hot food!
The Star’s Christmas Market
- The Star at Cotton
- Saturday 11th December, 12 – 6pm
Just outside Derbyshire, but not far from Ashbourne is popular gastro pub The Star at Cotton. They’re hosting their first Christmas market in their courtyard, bar and restaurant. Expect lots of lovely independent small businesses, The Star’s own street food stall, mulled wine and Prosecco bar and a beautifully dressed pub!